- The Peregrine Fund - American Kestrel Partnership
- Exhibit featuring Bob the Kestrel and other live bird(s).
- Boise Watershed Environmental Education Center
- Boise Camera Club
- Eagle Camera Club
- Idaho Camera - see workshop information below
- Ducks Unlimited - Greenwing Program
- Idaho Bird Observatory - Bird Banding Demonstration from 9am-Noon
- IDFG - Watchable Wildlife
- Golden Eagle Audubon Society
- Wild Birds Unlimited
- Bird Feeder Display Garden by Bird House & Habitat with seats in a shaded viewing area and try out the new Swarovski ATX spotting scope provided by BirdingIsFun.com.
- Krazy Dog - burgers, hot dogs, soups, salads, chips, sodas, coffee, tea, etc
- Smashin' Ade - fruit chiller icy beverages
These workshops will be presented from the outdoor amphitheater in Foothills Heritage Park. There is a terraced grassy area for sitting, so you attendees may want to bring a blanket or lawn chairs. Depending on the size of the group attending, everyone may be able to sit under the covered area close to the presenter.
|9:00 AM||Birding by Ear - Taught by Paul Ostler|
|10:00 AM||Backyard Bird Feeding - by Julie Steele of Wild Birds Unlimited.|
|11:00 AM||Bird Photography - taught by Michael Morrison.|
Part 1 - Bird Photography Seminar taught by Michael Morrison at the Idaho Camera Vista Village Super Store, 1036 Vista Ave. on Saturday, April 20th at 11:00am (This is the week before the bird festival itself).
Part 2 - Field trip to the Boise Bird Festival as a follow-up to Part 1. Meet at the amphitheater at Foothills Heritage Park on Saturday, April 27th at 11:00am. Newcomers are welcome, even if they missed the first seminar.
Saturday Seminars at Idaho Camera are free! No reservation or purchase required to attend. Seating is first come, first seat.
|12:00 PM||Digiscoping & Technology in Birding - photography through a spotting scope or binocular using cell phone cameras, point-and-shoot, and dSLR cameras. Discussion about birding apps, eBird, and more. Taught by Robert Mortensen|
|1:00 PM||Bird Feeding Like a Pro - tips on feeders, seed and other items one might feed to attract birds to your yard. Taught by Michael Morrison - Sponsored by Bird House & Habitat.|
|2:00 PM||Songs Birds Sing - taught by Steve Bouffard - Curator of Birds, Orma J. Smith Museum of Natural History, The College of Idaho|
Every half hour between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm there will be bird walks led by local birders. The length of the bird walk and the route followed will depend entirely upon the participants and of course the birds. Some walks may be on paved trails on flat surfaces. Other may follow single-track trails a bit into the foothills where there is some amount of terrain to hike over.
Bird Identification Basics:
While we won't be having a workshop specifically on this subject at the Boise Bird Festival this year, many people are interested in being able to identify birds and put a name to them. Check out these great videos from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology about birding basics...